Welcome to the March 2021 issue of The Bridge!
This issue includes an excellent article on mood disorders in autistic young people, written by experts Dr Emily Jackson, Dr Eleanor Smith, and Dr Aditya Sharma. The authors thoughtfully discuss the overlap between these conditions, challenges in identifying their co-occurrence, and adaptations needed for interventions. They use an evidence-based approach to inform best practice, and highlight the importance of recognising and addressing comorbid mood disorders to improve affected autistic young people’s quality of life.
In The Bridge this month, we also feature fascinating research, recently published in The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry (JCPP) and Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH). This research covers a wide range of developmental, emotional, and behavioural conditions experienced by young people, and uses innovative approaches to better understand the course of illness, neurobiology, risks, and effectiveness of interventions. I hope you enjoy reading!
Updates to The Bridge
There are exciting changes ahead for The Bridge, as we’re planning updates to help us better share the latest clinically relevant child and adolescent mental health (CAMH) research, best practice, and policy, with a focus on accessibility for busy CAMH professionals. As part of these updates, we’re changing to publish quarterly; and we’ll be back in the Summer with our next issue in our new format. I’m keen that we continue to improve so that The Bridge is as useful as possible for our readers. Please do email me at TheBridge@acamh.org with any feedback or suggestions. I’d really like to hear from you!
Articles from the March 2021 edition
- Chronic illness may present barriers to engaging in CBT for depression
- How far have we advanced this decade in understanding reading disorders?
- Progressive cortical thinning might identify children at risk of developing psychotic spectrum symptoms
- Which genetic mechanisms underlie the relationship between preschool vocabulary and later literacy skills?
- Childhood behaviour patterns linked with romantic partnering in adulthood
- Cord blood metabolites linked with an ADHD diagnosis in childhood
- Does early androgen exposure contribute to autistic traits?
- EEG data might help identify children at risk for social anxiety
- Environmental factors linked with identifying as a sexual minority may increase suicidality risk
- Is frontoamygdalar connectivity in the resting brain linked with externalising behaviours during development?