Autism is a complex lifelong disorder (NICE, 2021) and affects how people perceive the world around them and interact with others. As a spectrum condition, autism can affect people in many different ways (National Autistic Society, 2023). Some difficulties that autistic people may share include social communication, social interaction, and restricted and repetitive patters of behaviours, activities or interests.
About 1 in 100 children has autism (WHO, 2023); however, many are undiagnosed, with increasing evidence of under-diagnosis among girls with autism. According to the National Autistic Society, recent data published by NHS Digital shows that, as of February 2023, there are 200 under 18s in inpatient units that are autistic, or have a learning disability. Of these, 95% are autistic (National Autistic Society, 2023). Whilst autism can be reliably diagnosed as early as 24 months, as characteristics may be detected in early childhood, many individuals are not diagnosed until late adolescence, or even until adulthood (WHO, 2023).
This World Autism Acceptance Week (27 March to 2 April 2023), we have collated a number of FREE learning resources from leading academics, clinicians, and researchers to build upon our previous catalogue of resources for World Autism Acceptance Week 2022.
We encourage you to explore the learning opportunities available on our website, sign up for our fantastic upcoming events below, and do share with your networks.
11 May 2023 2pm UK – FREE, JCPP Advances 2023 Lectures ‘What the research tells us; Anxiety, Neurodiversity, Suicide, and Genetics’
27 June 2023 9am UK – From £30, Autism; Making Friends – A Prof. Tony Attwood Special
4 July 2023 9am UK – From £30, Autism; Managing Feelings of Anxiety, Sadness, Anger – A Prof. Tony Attwood special
*For PAID events, delegates get access to recordings for 90 days after the session
- Podcast ‘Phenomenology of Gender Dysphoria in Autism’ with Dr. Kate Cooper
- Podcast ‘Language Regression, Communication Development, and Autism’ with Dr. Mandy Steiman
- Podcast‘Late-diagnosed Autistic Children: Mental Health & Social Difficulties’ with Professor Will Mandy
- Recorded webinar ‘Myth Busting Autism’ with Dr. Ann Ozsivadjian and Dr. Marianna Murin
Open Access papers from ACAMH journals
- JCPP Advances Original Article ‘Categorical versus dimensional structure of autism spectrum disorder: A multi-method investigation’, 2023. Thomas W. Frazier and Lacey Chetcuti et al.
- JCPP Advances Original Article ‘IQ trajectories in autistic children through preadolescence’, 2023. Marjorie Solomon et al.
- JCPP Advances Original Article ‘Factors related to retention in a longitudinal study of infants at familial risk for autism’, 2023. Sally Ozonoff et al.
- JCPP Advances Original Article ‘Mental health impact of autism on families of children with intellectual and developmental disabilities of genetic origin’, 2023. Jeanne Wolstencroft and Ramya Srinivasan et al.
- JCPP Advances Original Article ‘Pre-pragmatic language use in toddlerhood: Developmental antecedents, aetiological factors, and associations to autism’, 2023. Maja Rudling et al.
- JCPP Advances Research Review ‘Executive function profiles of preschool children with autism spectrum disorder and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review’, 2023. Marina Christoforou et al.
- JCPP Advances Original Article ‘Prenatal exposure to ambient air pollution and autism spectrum disorders: Results from a family-based case-control study’, 2022. Nima Ghahari, Fatemeh Yousefian, and Ehsan Najafi
- JCPP Advances Original Article ‘Emotion processing differences mediate the link between sex and autistic traits in young adulthood’, 2022. Lucy A. Livingston et al.
- JCPP Original Article ‘Parental insightfulness is associated with mother–father–child interactions among families of preschoolers with an Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis’, 2023. David Oppenheim et al.
- JCPP Original Article ‘Autism spectrum disorder and brain volume link through a set of mTOR-related genes’, 2023. Martina Arenella et al.
- JCPP Original Article ‘The adult outcome of childhood quasi-autism arising following extreme institutional deprivation’, 2023. Maria Rodriguez-Perez et al.
- JCPP Original Article ‘Associations between emotion recognition and autistic and callous-unemotional traits: differential effects of cueing to the eyes’, 2022. Virginia Carter Leno et al.
- JCPP Original Article ‘Phenomenology of gender dysphoria in autism: a multiperspective qualitative analysis’, 2022. Kate Cooper et al.
- JCPP Practitioner Review ‘Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism spectrum disorder – the importance of depression’, 2022. Anita Thapar et al.
- JCPP Original Article ‘Unique dynamic profiles of social attention in autistic females’, 2022. Teresa Del Bianco et al.
- JCPP Original Article ‘Sleeping Sound Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): a randomised controlled trial of a brief behavioural sleep intervention in primary school-aged autistic children’, 2022. Nicole Papadopoulos et al.