In this Papers Podcast, Dr. Luisa Sugaya and Dr. Luis C. Farhat discuss their co-authored JCPP Advances Special Issue Research Review ‘Efficacy of stimulants for preschool attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis’ (https://doi.org/10.1002/jcv2.12146). Luisa and Luis are co-first authors of this work.
There is an overview of the paper, methodology, key findings, and implications for practice.
Discussion points include:
- Insight into the original research aims.
- The existing gaps in the current literature.
- Implications of the review from a clinical and research perspective.
- Implications from a policy perspective, including prescribing guidance.
- Advice for parents/carers of preschool children with ADHD.
To find out more about the 2023 JCPP Advances Special Issue ‘Evidence-based Synthesis Studies for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Conditions’, do check out our fantastic landing page of resources from the Special Issue.
In this series, we speak to authors of papers published in one of ACAMH’s three journals. These are The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry (JCPP); The Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH) journal; and JCPP Advances.
Subscribe to ACAMH mental health podcasts on your preferred streaming platform. Just search for ACAMH on; SoundCloud, Spotify, CastBox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, Podcastaddict, JioSaavn, Listen notes, Radio Public, and Radio.com (not available in the EU). Plus we are on Apple Podcasts visit the link or click on the icon, or scan the QR code.
Luisa Sugaya is a child and adolescent psychiatrist. She completed her medical degree and medical residency at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of São Paulo (FMUSP). Her main interest is the study of irritability and disruptive behaviors at different stages of development. She is currently a doctoral student at the Department of Psychiatry at FMUSP. In her free time, she enjoys playing sports, spending time with friends and traveling. (Bio and Image from Guilherme V. Polanczyk Childhood and Adolescent Psychiatry Team)
Luis C. Farhat is a final year medical student at the Faculty of Medicine FMUSP, University of São Paulo. He has a strong interest in epidemiology, evidence-based mental health and precision psychiatry. His research efforts are focused on obsessive-compulsive disorder and related disorders, e.g. trichotillomania, and neurodevelopmental disorders, e.g. autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, across the lifespan. (Bio from Guilherme V. Polanczyk Childhood and Adolescent Psychiatry Team)
- Featured paper ‘Research Review: Efficacy of stimulants for preschool attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis’, Luisa S. Sugaya, Luis C. Farhat, Pietro Califano, Guilherme V. Polanczyk
- JCPP Advances 2023 Special Issue – ‘Evidence-based Synthesis Studies for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Conditions’
Transcript (coming soon)